Monday, November 17, 2008

Online Office Suite/ Image Editing Reflections (Week 12)

This week we were to choose an online office suite and a new image editing program to try out and write a review about.   I will admit that I am pretty picky when it comes to office suites, but wanted to see what was out there for offer, and I’m not a big photo person so image editing is usually particular to my work and I am picky in this area too.  I must also admit that from experience, you “get what you pay for” and freeware is usually free for a reason, but now I must say that after playing with Google Documents and Picnik, my attitude has changed a bit.   I tried to go in with an open mind and figure out useful ways to incorporate each into my line of work.   Though I would rather use software I have purchased (strictly because there are more tools built in and it’s a little more useful for my job), I would definitely recommend each of these tools given some situations.
Google Documents- First, I felt like this site was very easy to navigate, provided an easy interface to share documents with others, was set up to easily create new documents change uploaded ones.  It was very fast and easy to upload documents, even fairly large documents.  I was impressed by the variety of file types that could be shared, but disappointed that Adobe Illustrator files were not among the choices.   I’m sure that wasn’t the intent when the site was set up, so we’ll bypass that complaint.  I think this would be a great site for teachers within a department (high school math for instance) to post their projects, documents, and worksheets to share with the department.  I also think that for any individual it would be a great place to back-up files without having to buy an external hard drive or worry about misplacing a CD or flash drive.  I was very impressed by the ease in navigating through the site and being able to find things, change things, and even change settings so quickly.   Lastly, I was HIGHLY impressed by the “form” creation tool and have already used this tool to set up an evaluation form.  Google documents gives you a web address that takes you directly to your form, so it can be easily linked to a website.  This is a great tool for opinion surveys, potential assessments, or even extra credit.  Once someone has submitted the form, the results (answers) are put into a spreadsheet that is very easy to read and use.   My only complaint is that I have not been able to find a way to edit the form blank after someone has already posted on the previous blank.  Hopefully we’ll be able to solve this problem, but not being able to edit it would be a potential flaw.   Other than that, I can see many great uses for sharing documents, backing things up, and storing items to recall later, and therefore I would definitely recommend this site to my colleagues for use in their departments or their classes.
Picnik- As I mentioned before, I am not really a photo person, but I was impressed!  I like Adobe Photoshop because of the variety of tools that are readily available and in my job I have to do a lot of image editing for documents, brochures, and presentations so some of those tools are necessary.  However, picnik did a really good job setting up some of those very basic tools in a user-friendly format that was easy to navigate, understand, and use.  This would be a great tool for some basic photo editing, especially in the schools.   For professional work, it’s probably not the best choice and you “get what you pay for”, but it’s definitely quality enough for an educational environment.   I liked the “create” function a lot.  It seemed to allow a lot of creativity in borders, shapes, adding icons to the photo, and styles of photo being created.  The cropping, red-eye reduction, rotating/ flipping tools, and basic contrasting tools were very simple to use, were effective, and produced some quality photos.   There are a lot of basic tools available at the click of a button, making it a great tool for use in a classroom setting.  Not to mention, for a class or school with a tight budget, this freeware will do the job! 

No comments: