I am truly shocked at the versatility, and how easy Wiki's are to create. Though it took a little time to figure things out, I felt very comfortable trying things and seeing what happened. Through a little trial and error, I found that things were set up very basic and easy to manipulate. Now, I feel like I have a LOT of technology background, but wiki's were new to me. My background definitely helped me navigate a little faster and reason things out a bit more, but I think nearly anybody could set up a wiki. With a little practice, there could be some really successful work (kind of like the wiki we made for class)!
I want to commend everyone for the work you've put in. Though very basic in format, the information and links seem to be very informative. I want to leave you with a thought I had, that many of you probably shared over the last week. When I started the week out, I couldn't get by the word "wiki". I'd heard it before, seen them, used them, but never created one. We then read about them and I watched the videos about them. I still couldn't get past the word "wiki". Now, I'm grateful for the experience of creating one. I see some definite advantages to them, and hope to use them more. And now I see... "wiki" is just a name, a catchy name, and I think it was a great marketing strategy. Who doesn't like the word wiki? :)
2 comments:
When you mentioned your "trial and error" approach it made me smile, as that is exactly what I did, too. I agree that it was great being able to get in there and play around with the wiki formats and options without much fear of "ruining" much.
Your comments about the term "wiki" also hit a note with me. It is funny how throughout the week, the word has popped into my head despite the other million and one things are running through it. The term is definitely catchy and I seems fun from the get-go. I can see it intriguing the minds of my middle schoolers from the start.
Thanks for your thoughts.
I agree with you, I do like the word wiki and it certainly is catchy. This was also my first experience with "wiki" and for the first few hours I really was sorta skeptical. Once I knew my "partners" could log on and edit and add, I started believing in the capabilities of a "wiki".
I enjoyed reading your "End of the software cycle". It is an interesting idea to me that we are all co-developers; I never thought as a user of the internet, that I was playing an active role in the development of these pages, but apparently we all are.
Great job on your wiki and thanks for helping our group out.
Post a Comment