I actually have been working this morning on creating an idea for a wiki with my coworkers. Since I teach in a little different setting than most, (a five day program overlooked by the DoD) I usually have to obtain permission to post things. I have been initially denied at making a website for just our site, but that thought is being bounced around still. As for wiki, it's still a website, but I am working on putting up links for parents, teachers, and students once they are done with the five days. I can see all sorts of really cool opportunities for a wiki in schools as well. My basic idea is to have a folder for each of the five days in our program and have links to additional online resources, wikipedia pages, and NASA links so that there is an extension to what the students learn in the program.
For public school classrooms, it would be very easy to use short term or long term for a class, providing some additional resources and websites, as well as the ability for the students to comment on assignments. For a quick example, the teacher of a speech class talking about impromptu speeches could create a wiki with links to examples (maybe even current students who were filmed and granted permission), websites that talk about impromptu speeches, and the wikipedia page that discusses the meaning of them. All this would then be a resource for students and parents to understand (and prepare for) a speech they may have to give.
I'll be honest that though I can see some great benefits to RSS and blogs, I can see greater benefits with the use of a wiki for my situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment